Any backpacking adventurer knows that a good and reliable multi-tool is crucial to his survival. Small things like cutting wood, repair and equipment improvisation, building a fire, hunting, and fishing can be accomplished successfully with the use of a good multi-tool. The Leatherman Signal 19-in-1 multi-tool by Leatherman is one of the best multi-tools products that can do all of the tasks previously mentioned.
With its’ tagline “build to survive,” the Leatherman Signal was designed and built with survival in mind. It is also the first to incorporate survival items such as the whistle and a fire starter alongside the common tools like the knife and pliers that can be found in most multi toolsets that are available in the market today.
The Signal has 19 different tools that Leatherman calls “preparedness features.” The materials that were used in assembling the Leatherman are also of superb quality. In fact, Leatherman has a 25-year guarantee for every tool they sell, repairing and even replacing them during that 25 year guarantee period.
- Shaped diamond coated sharpener for maintaining your straight and serrated blade.
- Fire-starting Ferro rod, and an emergency whistle.
- Closed Length: 4.5 in (11.43 cm).
- Weight: 7.5 oz (212.6 g).
- Blade Length: 2.73 in (6.93 cm).
- Includes Safety Whistle, Ferrocerium Rod, Diamond Sharpener.
- GUARANTEED: Our 25-year limited warranty ensures that your Leatherman will give you many years of dependable service. Just send it in and we’ll fix it up.
- All Leatherman multitools are made and repaired right here in the USA.
Pros and Cons of The Leatherman Signal
As with all multitools products, the Leatherman also comes with its pros and cons.
- The pocket clip and biner-style clip gives two great carry options.
- Practical functionality.
- For a full-size tool, the Signal is fairly light at just 7.05oz.
- Strong frame locks for both the saw and knife make using both secure and safe.
- Quality construction and clever problem solving throughout.
- The tool locks closed for ‘biner carry.
- Replaceable wire cutters mean you can really take full advantage of the strong, precise pliers to cut stuff that would otherwise damage your tool.
- Great build quality overall
- A bit expensive.
- Bonus features are less useful than we’d like.
A Closer Look At The Leatherman Signal…
The 19-in-1 Leatherman signal is a multi-tool that features a whopping 19 different tools that are forged from 420HC stainless steel. It also has corrosion and scratch resistance properties due to its diamond-like coating or DLC that is applied to all the tools. The Leatherman signal multi-tool has a closed length of 4.5 inches. Its main blade is 2,73 inches long and its total weight is 7.5 ounces. The Leatherman signal also has a steel clip that helps secure the tool from falling out from your pockets.
If you are new to multi-tools, then, you may find The 19-in-1 Leatherman Signal to be not the most intuitive multi-tool. The 19 tools of the Leatherman Signal may be too much to grasp at the beginning and as a newbie, you will find no need for all of these tools. Also, some of the tools like the two box wrenches and the hammer are not instantly recognizable without the help of the tool instruction kit. But for someone who has a lot of experience with multi-tools, the endless features of the Leatherman Signal is a joy to behold. Tools such as the pliers have a great grip and strength, the saw can easily cut through branches with a 2-inch diameter, the knife doesn’t need sharpening even after a month of use and the Signal’s open and lock mechanism is also easy to use.
One great feature of The 19-in-1 Leatherman is that the tool can be disassembled by using a small torch wrench. This means that the parts of the tool can be individually replaced if they are damaged.
When compared to other multi-tools with the same number of tools, the Leatherman is on the lighter end. But for backpackers and outdoor survival adventurists, the Signal is still considered as a heavy tool to carry. Most of the tools found on the Signal are useful and worth the weight, but others could be eliminated. An example of a tool that is not that much needed in the Signal is the whistle. This is because most packs that are used for backpacking and survival adventure trips have whistles already found on the chest strap of the pack.
The Leatherman Signal is a reliable tool from a respectable brand. So, you will not go wrong with this product. The Signal is best for people who love to fix even the smallest defects on their gear. It also has a lot to offer and performs very well on any trips and excursions. In short, the Leatherman Signal is a great, fun to use, and effective multi-tool that has a strong, sharp, and durable features. But for people who are looking for a simpler multi-tool and just want the basics, the Signal and its 19 different tools may be way too much to handle compared to other simpler multi-tools in the market today. It is now up to you to decide if you want to add this tool in your survival kit or just settle to the simpler multi-tools in the market. The final choice will always be up to you.