Power outages can be unpredictable which is why a good backup option for lighting is very important. This is the top reason why solar lanterns are becoming more and more popular almost everywhere.
Solar lanterns are also a perfect source of light if you are planning to go on an outdoor adventure, like camping in the wilderness with your friends or family. Furthermore, solar lanterns are the most economical and easiest light source that you can have when other power sources are not available.
What are solar lanterns?
Solar lantern or sometimes referred to as solar lamp or solar light is a lighting component that comes with a solar panel, charge controller, battery, an inverter, and LED lamp. The solar panel absorbs sunlight and converts it into electrical current to provide light. Charging the solar lantern is easy. Just place it under the sunlight and it will store solar energy into the battery.
Compared to some ofthe other popular power sources out there (kerosene lamps, candles, and electric bulbs), the solar lantern, being a renewable source of energy, is considered to be the cheapest and most environment friendly.
Our Top 3 Picks For The Best Solar Lanterns That You Can Use When Camping.
- 5 CHARGING METHODS: Solar Powered, Crank Dynamo, Car Adapter, USB or 3 x AA Battery.
- GREEN POWER: Hand Crank Dynamo Solar 36 LED Lantern Outdoor Super Bright Camping Work Light
- LOW ENERGY CONSUMPTION: Built in the Polysilicon solar panels, More brighter than the other camping light and lower energy consumption
- USB OUTPUT: An universal USB charging port for charging mobile phones and other devices (output: DC 5V/1A)
- 2 BRIGHTNESS MODES: Bright mode [adequate for reading and most normal activity], Super bright mode [extended vision or to share]
It’s One Of The Best Because…
The AGPtec 5 Mode Hand Crank Dynamo solar lantern features a stylish design that comes in an attractive black color. It has 32 LED lights that helps you get maximum brightness. The Polysilicon solar panels gives brighter light by consuming lower energy and with the solar panel located at the top, charging the solar lantern is a breeze.
The AGPtec 5 Mode Hand Crank Dynamo solar lantern also comes with USB port that you can use to charge your mobile phones and other devices.
The best thing about this solar lantern is it does not only depend on the sunlight for power. In fact you can charge this lantern in 5 different ways: by solar power, by using car adapter, AC adapter, 3 AA batteries and by crank dynamo.
Pros and Cons of the AGPtec Solar Lantern
- It is black in color
- Beautiful design
- Works great
- The solar lantern’s port is not suitable for charging laptop
- This extremely durable solar LED light is completely powered by the sun, no additional batteries needed. Set it in direct sunlight for 7 hours and Luci Outdoor lasts up to 12 hours on a single charge
- Inflatable, collapsible, lightweight (weighs only 4.4 ounces), fully waterproof & submersible (IP67 rating)
- 10 powerful white LEDs shine in 3 settings: bright, super bright, 1 second flashing
- Rugged outdoor lantern. Perfect for camping, hiking, biking, kayaking, sailing, fishing, paddle boarding and more
- Features top and bottom straps convenient for clipping onto a backpack, hanging in a tent or stringing up wherever you need light
It’s One Of The Best Because…
Weighing at just about 4.4 ounces, the MPOWERD Luci is one of the lightest solar lanterns in the market today. It’s so light that you can carry this lantern anywhere you want without a problem. When it comes to charging the lantern, just simply place it under the sunlight. Charging time usually takes about 5-6 hours.
The MPOWERD Luci comes with 10 LED lights with 3 brightness settings: bright, super bright and 1-second flashing, enough to provide adequate brightness for doing normal activities. Its top and bottom straps means you can easily clip this lantern into your backpack or hang it anywhere you want. MPOWERD Luci solar lantern comes with 1-year manufacturer warranty.
Pros and Cons of the MPOWERD Luci
- 3 Brightness settings
- Easy to use
- 1 -year manufacturer warranty
- Slow charging time
- 10 HOUR BATTERY LIFE: Provides over 10 hours of LED light on a single charge
- 3 LIGHTING MODES: Three lighting modes including high (65Lm), low (25Lm) and SOS.
- POWERBANK: USB outlet allows the lantern to power any USB device. Large 800mAh/3.7V Lithium battery
- CHARGING OPTIONS: Can be charged via solar or USB
- COMPACT: Small enough to fit in your pocket or hang on your backpack
It’s One of the Best Because…
The ErgaLogik is really small that you can easily place it in your backpack or in your pocket for using in your camping tent. It has 3 light modes including high, low and SOS. Even if this solar lantern is small in size, it can still provide you adequate light for 10 hours at full charge. It also has a USB port for charging your mobile phones. The attractive green colored handle on the lantern lets you hang it on any place you desire.
Charging the ErgaLogik can be done in two ways. By keeping it under the sunlight or through its USB port.It usually takes about 4-hours for the ErgaLogik to be fully charged.
Pros and Cons of the ErgaLogik Compact Solar Camping Lantern
- Features compact design
- Small and portable
- Doesn’t take much space in your backpack
- Easy to hang
- Provides light in 3 different modes
- Not very bright
- Takes a long time to charge a phone
All 3 of the solar camping lanterns reviewed in this article are all great in providing light in your campsite. You will not go wrong in choosing any of these 3 solar camping lanterns. Each lantern can provide adequate light to last you the night and can also charge your mobile phones and other gadgets. Plus all 3 lanterns are very affordable and don’t take much space inside your backpack.