fire starter kit
April 9, 2021
Every outdoor survival enthusiast knows that fire starters are an incredibly important tool out in the wilderness. That is the reason why 9 out of 10 outdoor adventurers always carry with them their favorite fire starters in their backpacks . Today, there are so many fire starter products in the market to choose from. Each with its own merits and flaws.
In this products review, we will be looking at 3 of the best selling fire starters in the market today and what each has to offer.
- Easy fire starting and the kit works in any weather conditions.
- Built-in first stage tinder. The magnesium bar is the tinder.
- The flint rod throws hot sparks even in windy conditions.
- Compact and longer-lasting (bundle of 3 firesteel blocks).
- Magnesium block is 3″ long by 1.2″ wide
- Striker is 3″ long by 0.7″ wide
- The striker is also a multitool – scraper, bottle opener and ruler (for measuring in inches and centimeters)
- Also comes with 17.5″ long ball chain
- Lifetime warranty.
Review on the Friendly Swede Survival Magnesium Firestarter Kit
Design and Usage
Made from magnesium, the Mag Bar will work in any and all conditions. Regardless of any weather, this fire starter tool works like magic. It comes with three one inch solid magnesium alloy and flint block that enables you to create fire with ease. The three serrated metal striker saws that comes with this fire starter tool makes sure that carrying different blades will no longer be necessary. These magnesium fire starter blocks also has a 17.5 inches of chain length which can be used as a key chain for easier access.
How it works
To utilize this fire starter, use the edge of the striker to shave the block, creating a small pile of magnesium alloy. Placing your tinder next to your magnesium alloy pile, slide the flat edge of the striker firmly down against the flint at 45 degrees. Doing this will create sparks that will fall into the magnesium alloy pile, igniting the tinder.
Pros and Cons of Friendly Swede’s fire starter
- Comes with three individually packed starters so you can easily have one ready for any situation.
- Starters include long chains so you don’t lose the pieces but still have plenty of room to work with.
- Easy to use
- Budget friendly
- Lifetime warranty
- Water proof
- May take a very long time to shave off enough magnesium to get a fire started. This may improve with practice.
- Has been known to have trouble working if the magnesium gets very wet
The Friendly Swede Magnesium Fire Starter is a must have for all outdoor enthusiast and survivalists alike. It is one valuable tool that can be a great addition to your survival tool kit and it can be also be used for wide variety of things. With its compact design, it is also lightweight and can be easily carried wherever you go. Plus, with 3 blocks in a pack, it can go a long way.
Get this survival fire starter kit here.
- Ferrocerium rod is available in 5″ and 8″ lengths
- Ferro rod is soft but durable and can throw 5,500ºF sparks in any weather and altitude
- Multi-tool striker that works as scraper, ruler, hex wrench, bottle opener and map scale.
- Shock cord lanyard for multiple securing options
- Compact and light. Perfect for bushcraft, firecraft, backpacking, hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, bugout, every day carry, emergency, survival, campfire, BBQ, gas camp stoves, etc.
- Product comes with hassle free manufacturer guarantee
Review on the Kräftig Fire Starter
If you want to have a portable and easy to use fire starter at your disposal, then, the Ferro Rod, as it’s commonly called is your answer. This fire starter tool also works in all types of weather and environment and in high altitude.
A single scratch on the ferrocerium rod ignites a spark of approximately 5,500º F (3,000º C) into the tinder. Like all survival tools, you will need a little bit of practice before you get the technique right. But once you do, using the Ferro Rod to create a fire will be a breeze.
The ferrocerium Kräftig Fire Starter is soft but durable enough to last a really long time – up to 20,000 strikes. It weighs about half a pound and costs just over 20 dollars which is a bargain considering the effectiveness of the tool.
Pros and Cons of the Kräftig Fire Starter
- 3mm shock cord lanyard is included
- High quality rod will last for years without wearing out potentially living up to their promise of 20000+ strikes
- Easy to use
- Item price is just right
- Multi-tools seem like an afterthought
In all, the Kräftig Fire Starter is one good tool to have if simplicity and utility is your preference. It’s a very Spartan tool and does the job well most of the time.
Get this survival fire starter kit here.
- US made
- Official fire starter of the US Armed Forces
- Lightweight (weighs less than 1oz)
- Can be used either left handed or right handed
- Spark-Lite can last for hundreds of strikes
- No-fail simple design
- Kit includes the Spark-Lite, 8ea tinder quick tabs and instructions
Review on the Spark-Lite Military Edition Fire Starter
When it comes to functionality and starting a fire, the Spark-Lite Military Edition Fire Starter is one of the best. This maybe the reason why the U.S. Military chose this product as their official fire starter tool. Most people who have purchased and tried this product agree that this tool is a keeper and should be in every one’s bug out bag and survival emergency kits.
More importantly, the Spark-Lite fire starter was designed to be used in case of emergency or injury. It is more reliable than lighters or matches and it can be used even with just one functional hand. It is also water proof, lightweight, and will burn for 1-2 minutes after it is ignited.
To use it, simply pull a tinder quick fire tab from the plastic case and ignite it with a spark-Lite.
Pros and Cons of the Military Edition Fire Starter and Tinder Quik
- Easy to use
- Can be used in any type of environment
- Burns longer after ignited compared to other fire starters
- Water Proof
- Striker is light and tiny
Despite its relatively small size, the Spark-Lite fire starter is still one of the best fire making tools one can own. If you want a survival tool for starting fires really quickly and that does not come with a lot of bells and whistles, this is a great fit. With its very simple design, it’s practically fail safe. Since it’s also quite cheap, you can use it as a compliment to your main fire starter tool.
You can get this survival fire starter kit here.
All four of the fire starter tools reviewed in this article are essential items to have for anyone who loves to travel and explore. Any of the above fire starter tools can easily make your fire building easier as well as keep you safe in any wilderness survival situation. The only thing to remember in buying a fire starter tool is that the tool must be reliable, water proof, and will work in all and in any condition. Lastly, if you really want to buy your own fire starter tool, a quick research regarding the product will be a good idea.